Everything

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The name is Fox... Mr Fox...

Ladies and Gentlemen - I am now *officially* a teacher. Well, not proper officially, but I did teach my first lesson today. Though it was very much an in-at-the-deep-end thing, I thought I shoudl do something I knew about, so first lesson this morning was The Beginning: ICT (Information and Communication Technology). Me and computers are an OK partnership, so off we trotted to the school's ICT Lab - 23 nine- and ten-year-olds and the man of the (amateur) hour!

A quick recap of last week's lesson went OK, and a quick Q&A session was pretty good too. Each member of the class was then despatched to their own PC, promptly logged in, and looked to me for the guidance and instruction that the teacher is meant to provide... and you know what? I think I did a pretty good job. We're doing "retrieving information from databases" at the minute, and I was charged with explaining a few of the more complex instructions the system uses. It took a fair bit of explaining (and showing examples on the classroom's projector screen, of course) but even the less adept members of the group got the hang of it after a while. They even worked their way through a sheet of questions I'd prepared, only pointing out two of the three spelling mistakes! I'm only human.

Anyway, the hour long lesson absolutely flew by. While the class were off in assembly, I discussed how I'd done with the proper class teacher. As usual, she was very positive, along with being happy she didn't have to do the lesson herself as she's quite the technophobe. She then asked if I'd be willing to do every ICT class through the year, to which I agreed - after all, I want as much experience as possible. We then planned a schedule of other lessons I can take a crack at... so tomorrow I'm trying Maths AND Science.

There's deep end and there's Atlantic Ocean levels. I don't think I'll be too bad, but there's always the thought that I've bitten off more than I can chew. Ah well - we shall see what happens.

Also - quick note - "World War Z" which I bought yesterday is amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home