Everything

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Life is a Cabaret, Old Chum...

No updates for a while, mainly as not much is actually happening. Life has slowed to a crawl, with the daily machinations of getting up, going to work, going home, eating and sleeping (then starting all over again) becoming increasingly unbearable. Lots and lots of hitting my head off the desk...

Work has hit crisis point. Basically it's become a bitter parody of Office Space (which I finally managed to watch at the weekend. It's very good, go watch it... it'll give you a lot to think about, especially on the role of slacking in the workplace). Anyway, I now officially no longer give a damn about anything contained within my work remit, mainly as (yet again) my job spec has been altered into something unrecognisable from it's previous incarnation. The details of my old job are dull in the extreme, but safe to say, I was alright at it, and every day from 8.30am to 5pm I'd trundle along, doing my thing and not feel too bad when I got home.

Now it's all different. My old job has been taken over by an already overstretched manager, while I haven't got even the most basic idea about my new role. I've asked people to help, to point me in the right direction... even to just plain tell me what I have to do, but I'm met with nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders and a slack-jawed "dunno...". Hence the almost continual face/desk interface. Seriously, my forehead is bruised as all hell. I've just been told that next week my hours will be changing too - without consultation - which adds yet another straw to the heavily-laden camel's back. I'd check my contract, but I don't actually have one. Indeed, I never have! What a splendid company I work for.

But, of course, there's the fabled light at the end of the tunnel; Man's most liberating action. The Handing In Of Your Resignation. In a mere two weeks, I shall give my Four Weeks Notice in, and the countdown to my new life will begin. Believe me, I'm counting the nanoseconds. And when that four weeks is up, I'm going straight to the pub for a whole week to celebrate.

In Real Life - like I said, not much occurring. Finished JPod (which I enjoyed immensely) and have now moved onto Battle Royal. Next on the list is the new Haruki Murakami offering, "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman". Finally got the new Snow Patrol CD, also quite lovely (especially the new single, "Chasing Cars"). And I'm going out for Japanese food tonight! I tell you. it's a rollercoaster, this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home